There are hundreds of incidents common sense tells us must have happened once we think about it, but there is not always documentation of a cooking mishap.  Such is the case I share with you today. 

I’d never thought of such a thing happening, but once I read it in a Rev. war soldier’s memoirs it hit me – cooking mishaps happened often, some, such as a lug-pole breaking and spilling a meal in the ashes, others, such as this one a little less contemplated.

“While I was in this house I went into the kitchen where I saw a simple incident which excited my risibility, maugre my fatigue. There was a large pot hanging over a considerable fire, but more smoke; the pot contained, to appearance, a large hock of fresh beef, the water in the pot had ebbed considerably and the meat made its appearance some way above it; upon the top of the meat, surrounded by fire and smoke, sat the old house-cat wreathing her head one way and the other, and twisting the beef into her face as fast as possible, winking and blinking in the steam and smoke like a toad in a shower. I left her at her occupation and went out.”

– Martin, Joseph Plumb.  Memoirs of a Revolutionary War Soldier.  1830. 

 

Advertisements